This is a VOLUNTEER position, which means NO compensation offered.
Peace Boat 101st Global Voyage - Volunteer Japanese/English/Spanish/Chinese Interpreters
Travel the world on a cruise ship using your language skills! Japan based international NGO 'Peace Boat' is seeking motivated volunteer interpreters to join our round-the-world voyages to assist communication on board and in ports.
A. Simultaneous and consecutive interpreting of daily on-board lectures, meetings and forums
B. Interpreting and assisting tours in ports of call - previous guest speakers include the then current president of the country of call and renowned revolutionary leaders.
C. Interpreting at informal gatherings
D. Assisting communication between Japanese and non-Japanese speaking participants
E. Translating documents required for the running of the ship
F. Translating and making handouts for lectures, etc.
G. Assisting the on-board language programmes
● As this is a volunteer position, there is no salary, however the full cost of the voyage will be covered by Peace Boat.
● Successful candidates will have a strong interest and general knowledge in both languages in the following areas: Regional conflicts, conflict resolution, poverty, civil society, the environment, nuclear issues, international organizations.
● Must be available for the full duration of the voyage. Only Spanish interpreters may join for part of the voyage.
● Interpreting experience or training is a plus.
● Peace Boat will cover costs for visas, and tours related to Peace Boat activities. All personal expenses are the responsibility of the applicant.
The average language levels of previous volunteers is as follows (these are not requirements but are provided as a guide):
Japanese: Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 1
English: TOEFL (PBT/ITP) 600, (CBT) 250, (iBT) 100 or above; TOEIC 900 or above
Spanish: Spanish Evaluación Oficial del Conocimiento de la Lengua Española Level 2 or higher, Diploma de Español como Lengua Extranjera (DELE) B2 or higher
Chinese: HSK 5 or higher
Successful applicants will be competent in both (or more) languages, and able to interpret university level lectures on a wide variety of topics. Training will be provided before departure.
Full-time volunteer position
Please send the following documents to the contact address/email:
1) Applicant's Personal Data Form (Form can be downloaded on our website)
2) Resume/CV (Curriculum Vitae) in both languages
3) A short essay (around one page) stating why you wish to join Peace Boat as a volunteer interpreter, in both languages
Applicants who pass the first stage of the selection process will be invited to the Peace Boat office in Tokyo for an interpreting test and interview. Telephone/Skype interviews may be organized if the applicant cannot come to Tokyo.
Inquiries & Information / Applications:
Peace Boat Volunteer Interpreter Applications; Attn: Nina Matsumoto
3-13-1-B1 Takadanobaba, Shinjuku-ku,
Tokyo 169-0075 JAPAN